Thursday, August 12, 2010

Canning

My Wordless Wednesday picture looks like some strange specimen found in a science lab, doesn't it?!? And to think, we're going to eat those...

I've been canning for about four years, and that's rather ironic in itself. I've always considered myself a city girl, and canning's for those country folk, like the pioneers. Ha. And how many Asians do you meet who can...and can make apple pie from scratch? That's a story for another time...
So I've canned tomatoes for four years and haven't tried anything else. Two years ago, we bought a new canner, and it came with a recipe/instruction book. And recently I've read about people canning peaches, so they can enjoy it in the wintertime. What a great idea! My little one loves peaches; why can't I can my own?!?

Peaches were actually easier to can than tomatoes, in my opinion. Probably because I had a far smaller amount of peaches than tomatoes. So come December, we'll see how well this experiment went and how good these peaches turned out!

Next experiment: salsa or spaghetti sauce!

4 comments:

  1. we were visiting grandma this weekend, and she was calling farms to find one where she could buy 3 bushels of peaches to can--she does it every year, and they are so wonderful! i'm sure yours will be awesome :) and my mom has done spaghetti sauce, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I cant wait to see how your peaches turn out. I love peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to see how your experiment turned out :)

    Returning the follow from MBC! Thanks for entering my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just canned peaches the other day! They are AWESOME!
    Really, if you can do tomatoes you can do anything- it's all pretty easy. Just remember pressure canner for tomatoes, veggies, and spaghetti sauce, and hot water bath canner for fruits.

    www.atozformomslikeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete