Monday, January 23, 2012

Handwriting Linked to Academic Success


While we are no where near perfecting or even conducting handwriting skills -- it's more like lines and circles around here -- I heard a rather interesting news story linking handwriting skills to academic success. A Floridian assistant professor tracked 1,000 second graders in their handwriting skills and success in the classroom and found the difference to be a letter grade, between "B" students and "C" students.

This does not make me want to start my toddler on letter worksheets now, but I believe the key is teaching children to be careful and precise. While not all are able to achieve at the same level, all are able to deliberately strive and persist in being as accurate as possible. I don't want my child to perceive that I'm a perfectionist, as that's far from the truth, but I want her to learn a life skill of aiming to do things correctly the first time.

What is your take on all this?!?

Photo Credit: Image: Chris Sharp / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

  1. Even though I did well in school, I have the WORST handwriting (especially when writing on a board, my poor students!)--it makes me wish someone had made me practice more when I was very young! I wish I could go back and fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting study. I think you are right about not wanting children to feel like they have to be perfectionists, but that they should ttry their best and work to get things right the first time. I hope you are well! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that when I write something down as opposed to typing it, I retain the information a lot better and learn it better, so I think that handwriting plays a large part in our lives even past school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Empirically i know this is not true in my family..but interesting to consider at the least!! Maybe the kids who take the time to practice cursive have personality traits that lead them to take the time to study.

    ReplyDelete