Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valentine's Day -- yes, no, maybe?!?


During the different seasons of my life, my attitude and perspective on Valentine's Day has varied. When I was younger and probably more cynical about love, I would joke with my friends about "Singles' Awareness Day," for obvious reasons! Strange how self-deprecation seemed to help the situation. Later on, while in the dating/honeymoon season of life, Valentine's Day was the typical, romantic, rose-colored holiday. But as I think about it today, Valentine's Day is just a nice reminder to let the people who you love, who also love you, know just how valuable they are to you. It's not about romance, but true appreciation and love, whichever form that love appears in. I do like the roses that my husband will buy, though honestly, it's not necessary to spend extravagantly -- but I look at Valentine's Day as a celebration of thanksgiving for all the love I have in my life.

This was part of the Blog Dare Prompt My thoughts on Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to admit that in highschool I dressed in all black for Valentines' Day. I had had my heart broken recently and it seemed fitting...

    Now I see Valentine's Day as a celebration of thanksgiving for all the love in my life too! Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there was this trend to "not" be into Valentine's Day...but now it's kind of sad to think we all can't be a part of something lovely!

    I've been married 15 years and told Husband about 2 years ago, we ARE going to celebrate Valentine's Day! We should take every opportunity to enjoy this day! Life's way too short!

    ReplyDelete