Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful Thanksgiving


I was teaching my weekly class of 4, 5, and 6-year olds. As we were sitting around the tables eating our snacks, one 4-year-old boy was talking about Thanksgiving and said, "God made Thanksgiving." In reply, his classmate matter-of-factly said, "I thought the Pilgrims made Thanksgiving!" It just made me smile! These boys were looking back to the beginnings of Thanksgiving and not to the hectic rush of entertaining or even mad shopping preparations. It made me appreciate and desire the simplicity the holiday warrants. Probably at the first Thanksgiving there was a feast, but I'm sure they weren't concerned about straining family relations, proper table settings, or menu planning -- it was a feast celebrating survival and partnership.

We have so much beyond survival to be grateful for, and I'm choosing to recognize the simple blessings!
Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!

0 comments:

Post a Comment