Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Post-Christmas Rush to Return? Or Re-gift?


The presents are opened, and everyone's mostly happy, right?!? Earlier I blogged about my distaste for Christmas lists, but the thing about Christmas lists is that the satisfaction after the wrapping is undone should be a guaranteed 100%. So (perhaps) unfortunately for me, the one who doesn't like making lists, I some times get something that I could probably live without! Some times I am given the gift receipt, which makes returns a new attempt at a "better" gift. I've also heard that people can find out where the gift was purchased to receive store credit; not sure how this really works in practice because businesses might end up losing money in this deal because there are some who would abuse this. There is also much more love in sharing by donating to a charity who could use it. And there is the dear re-gifting!

I actually have a shelf for "gifts." Most are generic gifts, like candles, random pieces of jewelry which I like but probably would rather share with someone else, toys/games, lotions, fuzzy socks. If I don't "need" a gift I'm given, it might just end up in this shelf to be passed along to someone at a later time. Fortunately I have a pretty good memory when it comes to remembering who gave me what -- I can even remember which infant clothing was given to my daughter by which friend! But for those who don't, you might need to attach a note about who the gift was from and the date; obviously it would be embarrassing to re-gift to the person who originally gifted it to you.

So what do you actually do? Return or re-gift?!?


Photo Credit:Image: Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1 comment:

  1. I generally return. I'm thinking the giver would want me to either like what they give or get something I'd like. I also have a stash of 'gifts' but it's stuff I've bought just in case.

    ReplyDelete