Tuesday, June 29, 2010

You never know who's watchin'

My daughter has a severe case of separation anxiety. It began when she was about 6 months old and has yet to abate, much to the chagrin of her parents and those whom her parents try to leave her with. But moms mostly keep telling me not to give up trying, encouraging me to bring her back to the nursery or childcare even for short periods like 10 minutes.
So we try the gym again -- some days, she can take to the person there, but she's not interested in high schoolers there to watch children (and really just text the entire time) or people who'd just not rather deal with her. But today, she didn't want to deal with anyone, even though the lady there was quite good to her.
I was standing to the side of the door, checking back after my 10 minute warm up, but little one still hadn't cooled down. I was waiting to see if the lady wanted me to remove my crying child from the facility when one of the managers/trainers came up and rather rudely said, "Who's the mother of that?" Hmm...my daughter has never been called "that" before.
The teenage girl looks up from her texting and points to me, with the embarrassed manager/trainer trying to regain respect by making faces at my angry baby, trying to make us all happy. Needless to say, I will not be renewing my gym membership.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, thats terrible. I had a couple rude-ish run ins there, too. They just aren't super friendly. I'm sorry you had to experience that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with my son who is 2.5 years old. I joined this awesome gym and they had a great day care (so I thought). I left him there once and he never wanted to go again. He was left to cry and no one consoled him. Needless to say, I only go when I can leave him with the hubs. I have never left him with a sitter or grandparents, yet. Sometimes, my little man cries when I leave him with his dad. I just can't bare to think that he'll be upset without me. He starts school this fall 3x a week and i'm a bit nervous. I know how you feel. Its heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's so terrible. It's a good thing you were there. I'm am thinking about joining a gym with a daycare but am worried about leaving my little girl with staff. Your post has made me think that through even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is rotten! I am sorry =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awful!! But I agree you have to keep trying. It is better for you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Reminds me a recent experience I had with a certain teenage waitress! You can work out when she's off to college, right?

    ReplyDelete