Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Tough Decision


When I first became a mommy, I was excited to spend time with other moms and share many fun playdates. The reality was that even though I tried my hardest to connect with other moms and to forge new or deeper friendships, the numerous playdates and even new mommy friends did not come to fruition. For several months, I was horribly disappointed that my new life as mommy wasn't as fun as another friend of mine. It took me a bit of time to realize that I was disappointed because I was not content with my life the way it looked, despite my attempts to add mommy flair!

Contentment is a tough decision that pops up more often than a person realizes. It starts with a simple comparison, in my case to the lifestyle I admired in another friend. When the comparison turns into a stark contrast where I do not willing accept my individual life, with distinct quirks and challenges, I become the enemy of my life because I am fighting contentment.

Discontent also leads many down difficult paths. Around here, stories of foreclosures and maxed-out credit is the norm. Mostly that is a result of attempts to squelch discontentment.

A tough decision is to choose to be content; yes, it is good to attempt to be better, but a person should embrace the life they have individually. The grass might truly be greener on the other side, but I'll be okay with it!

Photo Credit: nathanwpyle - my friend, a creative genius

4 comments:

  1. I hear you. Many times I have been miserable because I have been envious of other people's lot - others are always prettier, nicer, more talented, richer, etc. And because I was looking at others, I neglected my own qualities.

    I wish you the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned comparisons can be very unhealthy primarily because you never know what goes on behind closed doors. You may think you want what the jones have/do, but if they lived in a glass house you may think otherwise. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well put. hard not to compare yourself to others, but i've learned the hard way that i'm not a very happy mom if i do so. i now don't worry so much about what others do, or think! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that no amount of external fulfillment is going to actually fulfill you. Fulfillment comes from within.

    ReplyDelete