Wednesday, July 11, 2012

When I'm Hungry . . .


I'm a bear to be around. It's true. And when I'm hungry, I only have one thing on my mind -- food.

With my digestive issues and with diabetics in my gene pool, I probably do need think more about the foods I eat. And I've been thinking a lot about food and about how I eat my food recently! Having a well-balanced diet with proper snacks and lots of water should keep me from being hungry. With the resources that I have available to me, there's no reason to feel hungry, and it doesn't mean that I have to always stuff myself. The reverse is probably more true; eating smaller, whole foods, balanced with fiber and protein.

Since I've "self-anti-medicated" myself, I have been feeling a little more like I used to. The energy level is much better, and the digestive enzymes I'm taking at meal times really does make my stomach more efficient. And I am eating much like we did on the Daniel Fast, going back to whole foods. After reading some books about reflux, I'm also (no I'm not OCD, really) counting how many bites I take before swallowing -- chewing at least 20 times starts the digestion without putting all that pressure on your stomach to break it down; when I started counting, I realized I could swallow at around 7! I'm trying not to play hunger games with myself but to look after myself, from the inside out.

What about you?!?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you...hope you continue to feel better as you make adjustments.

    I'm pretty bear-like to be around when I'm hungry too!

    ReplyDelete