Monday, March 12, 2012

A Vegetable I Won't Insist My Children Eat



Actually I probably insist that my children try any and every vegetable; they might not have to finish the serving of veggies if it tastes too different though. My daughter does a pretty good job of this already. She's willing to try almost anything, and I hope that will continue throughout her life! I've had my share of "interesting" foods, but I wasn't as willing to eat bravely when I was younger.

I was a highly opinionated eighth grader, and I proudly announced to my dad, at the restaurant where we were eating, that I needed to know what everything was before trying it. It was a battle of wills . . . and my dad won. I ate a few things that I couldn't identify, but I realized that I enjoyed something I probably would have never tried if I knew what it really was.

I'd like my children to embrace a sense of adventure when it comes to food, to allow their taste buds to be surprised (and hopefully not appalled) by the different kinds of foods we have available to us!

Photo Credit:  Image: Carlos Porto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I cook the same things over and over again which means my son isn't eating a whole lotta type of vegs. But how am I supposed to be inspired by romaine lettuce and beets? Why r there 8 types of lettuce but no good fruit at store? How do u stay inspired?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to buy what's on sale, fresh or frozen. So we have a different veggie each night....for the most part!
    Tonight I made sweet potato fries, but I tend to stir fry with garlic a lot, which lends well to green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash. I'll also bake eggplant, squash, or asparagus.

    ReplyDelete